So, today is the International Day of Peace. Didn't know about it? No, neither did I until I saw it trending on Twitter. I wish there had been more knowledge of this and more information passed around because I think it's a lovely idea and something more people should have known about.
So what is the International Day of Peace? It was introduced in 1982, which is weird because this truly is the first time I'm ever hearing about it. The General Assembly of the UN declared it as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace. In 2001 the General Assembly voted unanimously on a resolution which states that the 21st of September would be a day of non-violence and cease-fire.
I did a bit of research and discovered that this years International Day of Peace focus is, 'Partnerships for Peace - Dignity For All' which aims for all segments of society to work together for peace.
Ok, now we know what it is, what can we do to be a part of this day?
- You could make a Youtube video and express your views on Peace. Maybe even get together with your friends and stand up for what you believe in.
- You could join a peace group, there are lots of them about and you can meet like minded people.
- You could do a meatless day. Showing peace towards our animal friends.
- Write a letter, poem or use social network to let those who have the power know how you feel. Use this as your opportunity to get your voice heard.
- One of my favourite ideas is to just simply make peace with someone in your life. Maybe a friend you fell out with or a family member you haven't spoken to in a while, today is the perfect day to put things right.
Thank you for reading and let's get more people knowledgeable on this subject, spread the word!