Tuesday 22 September 2015

"Get Some Meat On Your Bones"

I hate this saying. My Nan says it to me almost every single time I see her, along with, "You're so pale, you look like a ghost."

"We need to feed you up"
"Do you ever eat?!"
"Why are you so thin?"
"You look anorexic."
"You must not eat enough to keep a fly alive."
"You are too skinny."

All of the above are things that I have had said to me over the years and all of them are things that I find offensive.

I have always been thin. I danced from the age of 3 and still do so I never really put on any weight. I have a very high metabolism and I am just generally quite a small person, In the past doctors have expressed their concern from my BMI being lower than it should be but only by about 1 or 2 points and nothing to worry too much about. The fact is is that I have always been like this, no matter how much I eat. And crikey, I eat a lot!

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that phrases like the ones above are not exactly helpful. In fact they can often make people feel self conscious and worried about their appearance. I feel this way and I am perfectly healthy. But imagine if you did say this to someone who does suffer from an eating disorder, how would it make them feel? It certainly wouldn't help them in their recovery, I can bet that much!

I suppose it's just important to think about what you say before you say it, and to consider how it may be received by the person to whom you are directing it. There are better ways to compliment someone on their weight or appearance.

No matter what you're body shape, if you are healthy and happy then don't worry about what other people are saying. Just be confident with who you are because you are beautiful.

If you do think that you may know someone who is struggling with an eating disorder then please tell someone who can help them and get them the support they need.



Let's just be nice to one another and take care of each other.

Lottie x


P.s. Zoella did a blog post on this topic back in 2011 if you would like to check it out. https://www.zoella.co.uk/2011/03/why-are-you-so-skinny.html

No comments:

Post a Comment